ONLINE SAFETY WORKSHOP
Thank you to everyone who attended our Online Safety Workshop yesterday evening ran by PC Holly Dobson. The session proved to be a great success and highlighted issues around the importance of keeping your children safe online.
Evaluations of the session show that 100% of attendees strengthened their understanding on how to keep their children safe online. Everyone who attended would also recommend the session to other parents.
This is what people had to say about the session...
"A good talk! Very open, relaxed and informative."
"Please make this a regular event."
"Highlighted the importance of correct security settings on social media."
"I am going to educate myself to use the internet safely."
"Thank you for a clear, concise presentation."
If you did not manage to make it to the session, we have put together some useful information drawn from the key messages. Also, there are some handy leaflets left in the School Office if you wish to pick up a copy.
TOP FIVE E-SAFETY TIPS FOR USING THE INTERNET AT HOME
- Have family rules about how the internet will be used at home and be clear about what information is safe to share online.
- Discuss rules about making and meeting online friends.
- Make sure you know what your children are doing online much like you would in “real” life and use parental controls (on computers, mobile phones and games consoles) to help you. Remember that these cannot always be 100% effective.
- Make sure that your children are aware that people or websites can lie online.
- Make sure your child understands that online actions can have offline consequences.
WHO ARE INTERNET MATTERS?
Internet Matters is a not-for-profit organisation working with online safety experts to bring you all the information you need to keep your children safe online.
We aim to bring you
- Advice on important e-safety issues
- News and advice from industry experts
- Guidance on setting parental controls and filters
- Reviews on the latest technology and apps
This is a really useful site to help you protect your children on the internet.
Below is a link to a handy resource you may find useful. It has links to appropriate websites to report concerns you may have over online safety and security.
There are also some useful tips and hints about how to keep yourself and your children safe online. Please visit:
A Useful List of Apps that the children use
PC Dobson talked about the different apps and websites that children use and she shared some important messages about internet safety. She advised that if a child has any concerns, that they can be logged via CEOP. She also provided a list of apps that the police are aware of that children use; you can download and read the list by clicking the image above.
Internet Safety Guides
In order to stay safe online, have a look at some of this safety guides to popular web services:
Further information about internet safety can be found on the following sites. Click the image to visit each site.